Indian Vindaloo Curry Chicken
Today we will make an easy Indian curry chicken recipe using Patak’s Vindaloo sauce. Normally I like to make my own curries, but Indian curry requires a lot of ingredients, it is much easier just to use a good pre made sauce from Patak’s for home cooking. My favorite is Patak’s Vindaloo sauce, it is full of flavor and has a good amount of heat to it. I tried a few of their other sauces but it is not quite as tasty as this one. If you prefer a different sauce, you can use that with this same technique.
For this recipe we will be using dark meat for the chicken because it stays tender and juicy. The dark meat has a lot more flavor than chicken breast as well. I will be cooking this with the skin on to get the flavor from the natural oils of the skin. But if you prefer to go the healthier route you can use skinless chicken.
Vindaloo Chicken Curry Ingredients
- 4 chicken legs and thighs
- 1 whole Spanish onion sliced thinly
- 1 scallion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 diced tomato (optional, if you want to cut down the heat and make it more saucy)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp oil (2 tsp oil if skinless)
Vindaloo Chicken Curry Cooking Instructions
- Heat up the pan with medium heat, add 1 tsp oil, do not let the heat go too high or else the skin will burn.
- Place chicken in the pan skin face down. Let it cook till the skin is golden and crispy about 7-8 minutes then flip and cook the other side of chicken.
- Remove the crispy skin. The purpose of the skin is just use the oil for flavor but you can use the skin for garnish or just eat it as is. If you never had crispy chicken skin before, you don’t know what you are missing.
- Add the, garlic, onions once the chicken is flip over, let it cook till the onions are caramelized
- When the chicken is almost all the way cooked through, add the sauce (add the tomato if you want to reduce the heat).
- Cover the pan and turn down the heat to let the sauce simmer with the chicken for about 15 minutes
- Transfer out after the sauce is thickened and garnish with scallions and crispy skin