Stir Fried Beef with Ginger and Onions
This is an authentic Cantonese dish, it is a simple recipe but the cooking method is a bit more technical. If done correctly this is an amazing dish.
Stir Fry Beef – Ingredients:
- 500 g of beef
- 6 sprigs of green onion
- 1 thumb of ginger
- 300 ml of oil (to flash fry the beef)
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
Marinade For Beef
- ¼ sodium bicarbonate to tenderise the beef
- 1 ½ tsbp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
Stir Fried Beef Sauce
- 100 ml water
- 1 ½ tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- ½ tsp dark soy sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Slice the beef thinly against the direction of the grain of the beef, so it will be tender.
- Marinade the beef for 20-30 minutes
- Cut the ginger in thin slices, then combine the slices and cut into thin sticks.
- Slice the green onions into one inch long pieces, use only the green parts.
- Cut the Spanish onions into thin pieces
- In a bowl mix all the sauce ingredients together and put aside
- We going to flash fry the beef, heat up about 300 ml of oil and add the beef, quickly stir fry for about 30 seconds until the beef start to turn colors.
- Transfer out using a strainer to get rid of excess oil on the beef, make sure you don’t cook the beef all the way through.
- Drain the oil into a bowl for reuse another time. Leave about 2 tbsp of oil in the wok, then add the ginger and Spanish onions. Stir fry for about 30 seconds until aromatic.
- Make sure the heat is on high and then add the beef and green onions, then add the Chinese rice wine and stir fry for a till the beef is done.
- Pour in the sauce and stir for about 30 seconds or until the sauce thickens and sticking to the beef.
- Then transfer out into a plate. Add some red peppers for color when plating. (optional)