Eggplants Stir Fried with Minced Pork
This is a very hearty home style Sichuan dish, sweet, spicy and savory flavors, goes great with a bowl of steam rice. If you are a vegetarian, you can easily switch out the pork with green beans or tofu and it will still taste great.
- 2 eggplants (best use the skinny Asian eggplants)
- ½ cup of minced pork
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 green onions
- ½ Chinese cooking wine
- 3 tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
- ½ tbsp Doubanjiang (Broad Bean Paste)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp of cornstarch
- 2 tbsp of water
- Salt to taste
- Cut eggplants into 1 inch cubes with the skin on. Set aside the eggplant in a pot of salted water and let it soak for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Mince the pork with ginger and add a pinch of salt and Chinese cooking wine.
- Heat up the pan, add oil and fry the eggplants for about 8-10 minutes or until the eggplants are tender. Transfer the eggplants out.
- Add a little more oil if needed, then add the minced pork. Stir fry until it starts to caramelize then transfer out.
- Clean the pan and reheat 1 tbsp of oil and put in the garlic, ginger and bean paste. Stir fry until aromatic, then add the eggplants and minced pork and stir fry, when almost finish, add sauce and stir till it thickens and transfer out on a plate and garnish with green onions.