Kung Pao Chicken
Kung Pao Chicken is a traditional Chinese Sichuan dish that is spicy but with a sweet taste to it. This is a very aromatic and tasty dish, perfect for the winter time, the heat will warm the whole body up! Goes great with a bowl of steam rice.
Kung Pao Chicken – Ingredients
- 500g of chicken (best use dark meat) slice into small pieces
- 3 tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
- ½ cup of peanuts
- 8-10 dried chilli peppers
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorn
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tsp of ginger minced
- 1 green pepper cut into same size pieces as the meat
- ½ red bell pepper cut into same size pieces as the meat
- ½ an onion chopped cut into same size pieces as the meat
Kung Pao Sauce
- ½ tbsp of dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp cooking wine
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp of water (add more water if you like it saucey)
Marinate for the Chicken
- ½ tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- Ground pepper to taste
- 1 tsp of cooking wine
- 1 tsp cornstarch
Kung Pao Chicken Cooking Instructions
- Slice the chicken into small cube pieces and then marinate for 30 mins before cooking.
- Mix all the ingredients for the kung pao chicken sauce in a small bowl.
- Cut all the vegetables into same size pieces so it will cook evenly. Leave the dry chili whole or can be cut into halves or thirds to be more spicy.
- Set the heat on high and add oil once the pan start to smoke.
- Stir fry the chicken till it is almost fully cooked then transfer out.
- Clean the pan and heat up a tsp of oil
- Add in the dry chilli, Sichuan peppercorn, garlic and ginger, stir until aromatic. Then add the onions.
- Add the chicken and stir for about a minute till the chicken is cooked.
- Toss in the peppers, then continue to stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the kung pao sauce and toss well till the sauce thickens and sticking to the chicken. Finally transfer out to serve.