Yang Chow Fried Rice
This Chinese restaurant style fried rice recipe, is the proper way to make any fried rice. It is versatile and absolutely delicious.
Fried rice is a type of dish that you can customized to your liking, the reason fried rice even existed is so that they can make something delicious out of left overs from the night before.
The recipe I am sharing today is one of the favorites in any Chinese Restaurant call Yang Chow Fried Rice. But if you don’t like the ingredients, you can use any ingredients you like, you can even make it curry or spicy if you really want a kick in flavor.
Yang Chow Fried Rice – Ingredients:
- 6 cups of cold steamed rice and not fresh rice. It is best to use over night steam rice, fresh rice does not fry well.
- 2 eggs
- 6-8 shrimps cut into cubes
- 3 oz of BBQ pork or ham cut into cubes
- 2 slices of ham
- 3 oz of frozen pees (can add carrots cubed as well)
- 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce
- salt to taste
- white pepper to taste
- 2 or 3 green onions chopped finely.
- vegetable or peanut oil, do not use olive oil, it will ruin the dish.
Yang Chow Fried Rice – Cooking Directions:
- First we will cook the eggs, heat up the wok, add oil, when it start to smoke put the eggs in and scramble it till it is almost cooked through. Set the eggs aside. We will add this to the rice when it is almost done cooking so the egg don’t get dry and over cooked.
- Add a bit of oil into the wok again and let it heat up, add the raw shrimp, (if you are using other raw meats add it at the same time) cook the shrimp till it turns white on the inside, then add the pees, ham and BBQ pork and stir fried until cooked.
- Add the steam rice and stir fried it, try flatten out the clumps of rice as you cook it. If the rice is very dry, add a splash of water to make the rice more fluffy.
- Now stir the rice and mix everything together till the wok is smoking and hear the rice sizzling. Make sure you are constantly string the fried rice because it will taste burnt if you don’t.
- Add the eggs, the light soy sauce, salt and pepper, stir it for another minute then add the green onions and it is ready to serve.